(1) Registers (Orders)
- Identity is literally outside of oneself, which reformulates the concept of ego and narcissism.
- Ego : Mirror Images, Fragmented body, Alienation
- Mirror Phase: Ego is constituted by an alienating identification based on the fragmentation of the body. Ego conceals the lack of unity and maintains a false appearance of completeness (falsifying character of the ego).
- Ideal Ego: Narcissism (Ego is identified with Ideal Ego)
- Oedipus complex: name of the father (symbolic superego) – Phallus is the symbol of what mother desires. A child tries to be a phallus for a mother but soon realized it is impossible.
- Ego Ideal: Subject is viewed from the point of view of Ego Ideal – Degradation/Contempt
- Subject is symbolic I. It is fundamentally split and divided. When I say “I”, it is trapped in language.
- Imaginary (Signified/Signification) + Symbolic (Signifiers) = Reality (Analytic Experiences)
- Something that are not symbolized (Lack)
- RSI(Real, Symbolic, Imaginary) are the structure of the subject just like a Borromean Knot. (Shift from Linguistics to Topology)
- The sinthome (as the fourth ring to the triad) is tying together a knot which constantly threatens to come undone.
a (small Other)
- Ego itself is an alienated other
A (big Other)
- Maternal Other -> Name of the Father -> History, Society, State, Religion …
(3) Libidinal Economics
- Instinctual necessity
- Symbolic request
- Incomplete: cannot formulate the needs completely, therefore cannot be fulfilled entirely
- always comes with Extra or surplus (such as affection of the Other)
- causes the surplus of demand
- not symbolized and cannot not be fulfilled
- desire recreates itself repeatedly
object a (object Petit a)
- Desire can be linked to real
- object a is not the target of desire, rather it causes desire
- obsessive pursuit of the arbitrary symbol
- in a phantasy space
- Desire is an repetitive (or more dialectic) process that cannot be fulfilled. Therefore pursuing desire causes suffering. But this repetitive suffering itself can be perversely enjoyable.
- The Jouissance (over-enjoyment) is actually felt as unbearable suffering.
‘Woman does not exist’ means that through Oedipus complex (castration), a woman cannot create the symbol of her own, unlike a man becomes a full symbol. The symbol of a woman is created through that of a man. In this process, a man becomes all, universal, and finite in symbolic but a woman is not all and infinite. Also, a woman becomes an object petite a in man (fantasy object that cannot be fulfilled) so woman is the symptom of man.