Francis Bacon (1561 ~1626)
- Bacon separated religion and philosophy.
- The doctrines of religion could not be proved by philosophical thinking. Any attempt is a waste of time and energy.
- Set up the standard of scientific inquiry (induction)
- Induction is a way to obtain knowledge of the universe
- By studying likeness and differences among things, we can discover laws, causes, and forms (universals).
- Empiricism: All knowledge is derived from sense experience, observation, and experimentation