Skip to content
Confucious (c. 551 ~ c.479 BCE)
Kong Gui (孔丘), Kongzi (孔子), Kong Fuzi (孔夫子)
- Ren (Jen, 仁) is the ideal relationship among human beings and the perfect vitue.
- Ren consists of 5 basic virtues: seriousness, generosity, sincerity, diligence and kindness.
- Man is close to Ren by nature but his action must be guided by Li (禮).
- The ideal man (cultured and ordered) practices Ren in accordance with Li. He seeks the Tao(道), the right way.
- The Confucian Tao(道) is different from the Tao of mystic Taoism. The Confucian Tao is the way to an ideal society and government, and to be a righteous man.