Skip to content
St. Thomas Aquinas (1225 ~ 1274)
Born in Roccasecca, Sicily
- Universals are real (- realists -), exist independently of any individual object
- Matter makes different one object from another. But they contain the universal idea.
- The World (Nature) is a union of universals (forms) and matter.
- God created the world out of nothing; God was the cause of everything.
- Creation did not happen at one time. Creation is going on all the time; God continually brings ideas and matter together to produce new objects.
- There is no conflict between Reason and Christianity.
- Reason and Theology reinforce each other.
- Bible teaches us how God wants us to live.
- God had also given us a conscience (reason), so man can distinguish between right and wrong.