- Title: Profit Over People; Neoliberalism And Global Order
- Author: Noam Chomsky
- Published: 1999
- Publisher: Seven Stories Press, New York, NY
- ISBN: 978-1-888363-82-1
Noeliberalists argues that neoliberalism is about individual freedom through the minimum government and free market. Also, it is how democracy should work.
Chomsky’s main purpose of the book is to show what neoliberalism really is. In short, neoliberalism is “of a few, by a few, and for a few” elites and corporations. Neoliberalism is based on the followings:
- Protect property rights of a rich few
- Open markets or Privatize nationalized industries in other countries (by military force or through economic crisis – IMF, WTO)
- Keep people as spectators rather than participants (manufactured consent)
The book is not a thorough walk-through of the mechanism of neoliberalism, but with empirical data (Results of neoliberalistic experiments (such as in South America) have always been disastrous), he alerts people the problem of this distorted profit-oriented ideology.