DataSync is an online data transfer service that automates transferring large amounts of data to and from AWS storage services over the internet or AWS Direct Connect (DX) in a simple way.
- DataSync can copy data between on-premise data storages (Network File System (NFS), Server Message Block (SMB) file servers, or AWS Snowcone) and AWS storages (S3 buckets, EFS file systems, and Amazon FSx for Windows).
- DataSync can even be used to move data from EFS to EFS.
- You can use DataSync to archive cold data by sending them directly to S3 Glacier or S3 Glacier Deep Dive.
- Replication can be done hourly, daily, or weekly.
Steps to Use DataSync
- Deploy an agent
- Create a data transfer task
- Start the transfer and monitor it in the console or CloudWatch
A DataSync agent is a VM that is owned by a user, and is used to read and write data. The agent cannot encrypt or decrypt data.
Comparisons with Other Services
- DataSync vs. AWS Snowball Edge
- DataSync is for online data transfer, and Snowball Edge is for offline transfer.
- DataSync vs. Storage Gateway
- Use AWS DataSync to migrate existing data to Amazon S3, and then use the File Gateway to retain access to the migrated data and perform ongoing updates from your on-premises file-based applications.