Systems Manager (formerly known as SSM) manages EC2 instances at scale (EC2 fleet).
AWS Systems Manager
- An agent software is installed on each VM.
- Run command is used to install, patch, or uninstall software.
- You can run a command to multiple instances using Resource groups.
Systems Manager Parameter Store
Parameter Store provides secure serverless storage for the management of configuration data and secrets.
- You can store confidential data such as passwords, database strings, and license codes as parameter values.
- Values can be saved as plain text or encrypted values (using the key from KMS).
- Parameters are stored in hierarchies.
- e.g. /prod/db/aurora/connection, /dev/db/aurora/connection
- The service can be used with EC2, ECS, or Lambda.